- How long are children's passports good for?
- Documents required to get passport for children
- Passport renewal for children
How long are children's passports good for?
Children’s passport is an official travel document issued by the government to individuals who are below a certain age typically 16 years old or younger. Children under the age of 16 must have a valid passport U.S. passport to travel internationally. Note that passports for children under the age of 16 have validity for only 5 years.
When checking for how long children's passports are valid you need to know the difference between children and minors. The U.S government uses the term childfor anyone under the age of 16 while the term minorrefers to those between 16-17.
Passports for children are valid for only 5 years.
For minors, the validity is the same as for adults which is 10 years. And if a minor is granted a passport at age 17then they dont have to reapply or renew their passport when they turn 18 .its valid for full 10 years.
Documents required to get passport for children
- Fill out the DS-11 form.
- Child evidence of U.S citizenship(like the birth certificate of the child issued by the local authorities).
- Photo of the child
Photo tips :
- Submit 1 clear photo taken in the last 6 months.
- Don't use any filters on the photo . Submit a clear image of your face.
- No selfies Have someone else take the photo.
- Use a white or off-white background without any shadows or textures.
- Proof of both parent's relationship with the child.
- Parental consent
- Both parents must approve that the authority can issue a passport for a child under the age of 16.
- Both parents or guardians should go with the child to apply in person.
- If one or both parents or guardians cannot apply in person with their child, you will need to provide additional documents with your child's application.
Passport renewal for children
Unfortunately, children’s passports cannot be renewed once the 5 years of the passport is over. You have to apply for a new passport.
But if your age was 16 or more when the passport was issued then the passport validity will be 10 years and you can even renew it. But if you were under 16 when the passport was issued then the validity will only be 5 years and once it's expired you have to submit an application in person for a new passport .