- Can A Felon Get A Passport
- Felonies in the U.S
- Cases Under which felons can get a passport
- What felonies disqualify you from getting a passport
- How can a felon get a passport
- Can a felon get a passport to leave the country?
- Can a felon get a visa?
- Countries that don't allow felons
Can A Felon Get A Passport
A felon is a person who has been convicted of a felony, which is a crime punishable by imprisonment for one year or more.
Almost everyone gets a passport once they apply but it's different for a U.S. passport Your U.S. passport could be rejected due to multiple reasons e.g unpaid child support, or someone who has criminal charges (felony) So, the question is can a felony get a passport? The short answer is it depends.
Felonies in the U.S
Felonies are different from misdemeanors, which are minor crimes and are punishable by imprisonment for less than a year. Examples of felonies in the U.S are :
- Drug crimes
- Violent crimes
- Property crimes
- Driving while being
- Violating liquor laws
- Not having required peppermint for firearms
- Disorderly conduct
Felony crimes are classified from class A to class E.Class E has the lowest imprisonment while class A can result in life imprisonment or death.
Cases Under which felons can get a passport
Having criminal charges against you doesn't mean that you will never be able to get a passport or travel internationally. There are some cases in which you can get a passport even if you have been imprisoned or have been convicted of felony charges.
You completed your sentence (imprisonment).
The convicted was set free legally.
The charges against you were dropped.
The felony can get a passport in these cases.
What felonies disqualify you from getting a passport
- Kidnapping or human trafficking
- Drug charges
- Assualt / Sexual assualt
- Animal cruelty
- Child pornography
If you have been convicted of any of the above crimes your passport will be denied .
How can a felon get a passport
Fill out the passport application form
- FORM DS-11 - For first-time applicants .
- FORM DS-82 - If you had a passport before, you can renew your passport if you meet these requirements .
- Passport was issued less than 15 years ago.
- Passport is in good condition, not damaged.
- Passport was issued when you were 16.
Proof of U.S citizens - First-timers can use birth certificates and passport holders can use old passports.
- Identification document with photo - driving license, expired passport, etc.
- Court documents - you can only get a passport as a felon if you meet all the legal requirements like completing your prison sentence.
- Two recent passport photos.
Can a felon get a passport to leave the country?
The depends on the what type of crime you have committed and whether have you served your sentence.
Type of crime committed - If your crime is of class E felonies then likely you will get a passport.
Have you served your sentence - If you have been legally set free or not.
Can a felon get a visa?
Visa doesn't come under the U.S. government. Will you be able to get a visa as a felon depending on the country for which you want a visa?
Countries that don't allow felons
- Saudi Arabia
- New Zealand
- South Africa
- United Kingdom